Thursday, June 16, 2005

Show us ya clogs

For some reason I woke up this morning feeling distinctly seedy. Not in the sense that people or things went where they shouldn't have, but just from hefty doses of yeast drink ingestion the night before. I was my last real night of soaking up a taste of Amsterdam before I head down to Dubai for a few weeks on Friday.....for the second time. In typical middle east fashion they had reneged on the original date I had to fly down down.

Anyhoo, it's given me extra time to enjoy the sweet nectar of the Honey that is Amsterdam - clogs and all. Last Wednesday night Emile, some of his workmates and I went to see Mylo. I'm sure the guy was lip syncing some of his music but the crowd had better things to do than form a lynch mob. I've been here for just over a couple of weeks and stayed my way between hotels and Emile's place in true prostitutional form.

There were a couple of really nice days here and had to relegate myself to sitting in the park down the road from Emile's place with my laptop hammering out some stuff for work with Dutch talent wandering around all day. Emile lives in a lively suburb called De Pijp (pronounded "pipe") and has a vertical slice of a lot of what exemplifies suburban cloggy culture. A large daily market with the hurly burly of one you'd find in the stix of Bombay. There are also plenty of coffeeshops around to satisfy anyone's THC habit. For you straight arrows, normal Dutch cafes also sprawl on to the footpaths with the locals drinking their Beerjes - typically either Amstel or Heineken.

In a couple of weeks I'm flying back to Amsterdam for an hour, then flying on to Copenhagen for three or four days to check out the Roskilde festival - 50 cent......yeah what a blowout. Then flying back on Sunday to Amsterdam and hanging there for a day or so, then back to Dubai.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home