Wednesday, June 01, 2005

My humour enters the dryer parts of the Gobi

Is it wrong to find every week that you're finding more and more of the cartoons and captions in The Economist funny? It used to be a wry smirk, but now it's increased in intensity to an audible chuckle reading about their cynicsim of Mugabe's elections. Oh what a riot....Ardent cynics will retort that I didn't have a sense of humour to begin with and it's not possible to go lower than rock bottom anyway. I rekon I'm a bit of a funny buggar, so we'll go with the assumption that I can tickle funny bones from time to time.

Imagine if you will that a sense of humour as a sliding scale. As you start "getting" humour that you once thought to be reserved for crusty old fossils, does it mean you lose the ability to laugh at toilet humour? The way I imagine it is you have a window of what you rekon is funny. This sliding scale moves with your ability to laugh at new stuff. However this scale has several dimensions, in much the same way that calling someone an ultra liberal doesn't necessarily mean they're anarchist (see http://politicalcompass.org/).

So let's try a simple test. Have I lost my sense of humour?.......doodle...... Yep, still funny on this side of the keyboard. But at the same time, I don't laugh any more at dudes with wacky ways of walking or speech problems.

So it's ok to laugh at grown up newsmagazines and still have a filthy sense of humour when you're out with your mates on the waste. There, all justified to myself.

Now I'm going to see if there's anything cool on the bloomberg channel here in my hotel room that I'm staying at during a business trip. I'm also pondering over whether I need to press my trouser pants overnight and if my new business cards have arrived at the office.

See: young at heart...going forward!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone is getting long in the tooth...That's all that needs to be said.

Soon you'd be telling jokes to yourself...at least you think that they are jokes... :D

2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home