Monday, November 29, 2004

*

Worldly tipp number 2: Don't lock your keys out of your apartment, with no spares for a long time. It'll cost more than a few months' hot breakfasts.

Mainz was this weekend's destination of choice. It's a town/city (depends on your perspective) perched about 45 mins' train ride west of FFM (Frankfurt am Main). Laine from WnHB RGT 7 Bat, SGT DR has been stationed at the university garrison since Feb. We spend the arvo on Saturday wandering around the town drinking Gleuwein in cool booty mugs. I've got a photo or two, so you can see what I mean.

Since we were both in the same boat of not knowing enough a critical mass of local German natives to hit the town and booze and wooze, we were up for a long Saturday night. Being a smaller German town/city, Mainz was home to a number of charming bars and clubs (and a heavy metal nightclub - I was in heaven). Typical Laine still to this date has a couple more rounds over me, but still, we finished the night early enough on Sunday morning to call it a success.

Aparently the printing press was invented in Mainz, as was the bicycle (although I think I'll put that last one down to my poor hearing, since it doesn't sound right somehow) and the Weinachtsmarkt was really pretty, so we spend Sunday wandering around the town having a nosey. The Doem is more impressive in Mainz compared to Frankfurt, and aparently since it has a presiding bishop, it can actually be called a Doem.

Work's still pottering along in Darmstadt. I have heard rumours I'll be here till the end of March, but we'll have to wait and see (should know by mid-December).

* You are here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home