Friday, November 26, 2004

Crickey, what a corker

Well, I was hoping for a more dramatic yarn to be able to put to blog, but this one will suffice as a le drame actuel.

Strasbourg, the Alsation student capital
First, I'll start with Strasbourg. I did the bolt over there on the ICE to spend a weekend hanging out with Jaharmes and samping some French culture. There was certainly plenty of it, and I saw just as many French flags fluttering in the wind as I saw American flags in Boston; they'll especially love to hear me say there're just like the Yankees in having a great affection for their country. I spose when they've been the meat in the sandwich for so long, between the land battle of France and Germany, they'd need to feel patriated to somewhere.

The streets were very narrow and gave a nice cosey feel to wandering around the city, while knawing on warm chesnuts like a bulemic chipmonk. I especially liked the Tarte Flambe (there's an accent there at the end of that word... just imagine it if you will), which a very delicious pizza thing. The Germans call it Flame Kuchen and insist they invented it... kinda like the European Pavlova debate except with more hand waving and more emotion.

It was cool catching up with Jaharmes. He's studying some politics stuff on a scholarship thing. It's was all very international on a Student-party-Friday night - Mexicans, Finns, French, Germans, Kiwis and Canadians (and yes, it's all true about the bears on the street). My French was really rusty, even though they speak nice and slowly in Strasbourg for retards like me.

That night when I crashed to bed in the local hostel, some dude boosted off with my wallet while I was sleeping, leaving me with nothing to my name. The French police were as helpful as a third testicle and gave me a my signed statement back to me. Even though I had the dude's name who took my wallet (he was staying in the same room as me and left before I woke up) as well as his address, age and nationality they didn't feel like progressing the matter. I guess they were all busy guarding the border so the town doesn't get taken by the Germans again. Buggared if I know. Anyway... James and I did the mission to the address that the hotel had for the five finger discounter. Aparently someone with the name (Coucourou) lives there, but wasn't there at the time. We decided to flag, then charged back for some pizza before heading to see an asian croutching tiger style movie in French. Was a crackup, especially the bamboo scene (cue laughter).

Jahames really saved my bacon and hooked me up with some cash (real mad props to you bro) to last for a few days till I got some replacement cards.

So, progress to Tuesday this week and I discover my landlord wants to boot me out of the flat, despite me informing them that I can't pay it all at once (I gots the money, but the bank won't let me take it out all at once). And since now I don't have any cash they are sorry I lost my wallet, but want a faster solution and IMMEDIATELY!! (emphasis theirs). Strewth, what's one to do?! Luckily Tim Racko was able to rattle off my new credit card number that had arrived at his place for me, and all was well. It was a bit of a stress merchant time for me till Thursday when all the arreas were sorted and I had given the real estate clowns a piece of my mind for being shit.

In the meantime, I am mega-impressed with the German bank fullas for hooking me up with a new account and 100 euro cash within half an hour. I have a shiny new Euro Card now, and since redundany is key, I'll be an old cranky lady and keep stashes of cards and cash littered around the house.

Anyhorse, I my new credit card arrived today and I'm gonna do the bolt to see Laine in Mainz. Should be cool stuff. No doubt we'll be discussing the result of Saturday's Paris All Blacks game on Sunday. I was --> <---- this close to getting free tix.

Ta ta.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home